Planting or growing plants are getting quite popular nowadays. It became an alternative to boredom and idleness. Since the beginning of the pandemic, we are now mostly confined inside our homes. To get rid of the boredom, gardening and planting became an activity that most people seem to enjoy.
But what plants can you grow in your garden? There are so many choices out there, but only a few are chosen to grace our gardens. If you have a wider area that you can use for planting, you have many options out there.
Flowering plants and vegetables are mostly the wiser choices because it is easier to tend and occupy a smaller area than most plants. And in the case of vegetables, it is beneficial for the garden owner because more than to highlight the garden, it is also a good option for healthy living.
Flowering plants are mostly grown for the enjoyment of the people or to decorate their dull landscape. There are plenty of flowers that one can grow in the garden; some are easy to grow while others are difficult to maintain.
Orchids, for example, are native to the tropics. They attach themselves to trees and are used to being left hanging in the air. But they are quite difficult to grow, although they provide a wonderful view when in full bloom.
Blooms like sunflowers, zinnias, geraniums, and marigolds are the flowers of choice by most people because it is not too difficult to grow. They are mostly recommended for beginners who wish to start a garden. Here are some of the flowers that you can start in your garden:
- Sunflowers: Tolerates most soil types, so you do not have to worry about growing it. You do have to support the plant since its stem can easily droop or break.
- Zinnia: These flowers need moderate water and can grow best under the sun.
- Geraniums: Geraniums are best grown in window boxes or as hanging plants. They can grow anywhere, even in hot areas.
- Marigolds: These flowers prefer well-drained soil under the sun. Fun fact: this plant helps in repelling mosquitoes.
The best choice, however, for most gardeners out there is to grow vegetables. Aesthetic value aside, these plants play a prominent role in all households because they provide for everyone’s nourishment. Most people find it safer to grow their food in their gardens because of the number of chemicals used as fertilizer by some farms.
It makes most of us a bit apprehensive about buying them because of their possible side effects. Unknown bacteria may also be found in some farm produce. There are organic vegetables out there, but they cost a lot more than those usually sold in the market. Here are some herbs and vegetables you can grow in your garden:
- Broccoli: This vegetable grows well on sunny sites and in well-drained soil. This vegetable provides nutrients to fight off diseases, including cancer and diabetes.
- Garlic: This bulbous plant contains phytochemicals that help reduce high blood pressure and prevents cancer. You can easily grow garlic in small pots or plots.
- Feverfew: Although this plant may look like Chamomile blooms, these plants are actually good ingredients for making healthy tea. You can read this guide on Gardener’s Path on how to harvest these useful herbs.
- Basil: This herb is a favorite in a lot of kitchens because of its unique taste. Not only is basil sought by most cooks for food, it’s also easy to grow. With adequate sunlight and water, you can easily grow basil in a small pot in your kitchen. Basil is perfect for pasta and certain sauces.
- Spinach: Loaded with nutrients and antioxidants, it’s easy to know that spinach is a must-have in your garden. Spinach can help in lowering cholesterol levels and preventing heart attacks.
- Tomatoes: Is it a fruit or a vegetable? Although some argue that it’s a vegetable, tomatoes are actually fruits. These small tasty fruits are relatively easy to grow and are used often for salads and sauces.
- Sweet Potato: These root crops are commonly grown all over the world. They come in different sizes and colors. Sweet Potatoes are rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Carrots: Carrots are another example of a root crop that is easy to grow in the garden. It contains beta carotene and other nutrients that are good for the body.
Almost every plant mentioned in this list is good for container gardening in urban areas. High rise buildings and their rooftops are perfect places to grow potted plants and vegetables.If you’re living in a house with a spacious backyard, then you can easily start your garden with these plants. Whether it’s the backyard or in a small corner on top of your rooftop, you can always enjoy the happiness of growing plants and vegetables.